Evaluation of readingrocket.org

readingrocket.org


When I opened this site, I was immediately wowed! The bright colors, graphics, and photographs were eye appealing.  Did I want to investigate more based on the visual aesthetics? Yes!
There is however, more to a website than visual appeal.
Okay let's get practical.  The purpose of this website is to provide information.
Bring on the meat and potatoes! 🍴

What about support for reading in the content areas? 📖
This site contains over 100 articles from 2008 to 2017 that support reading in the content areas.
What areas? Everything from science to math, to ELL and STEM.  I was impressed.  The articles appear to be a mix of Reading Rockets authors and university professors.  There is a nice variety of primary and secondary articles.  It's an all-you-can-eat meat and potatoes smorgasbord!  


Ease of navigation? 🔍
I must admit, I was a bit overwhelmed at all of the resources available on this site.  Where do I start? If you know what you are looking for, no problem. If you don't 😮, just start clicking.  The search bar is always a nice start.  There is a friendly navigation bar with four topics and a small bar underneath with 13 topics.  No matter what you click, you will never get lost! The navigation bar will be highlighted with where you are. No need to back arrow your way out! 


Availability of classroom resources? 📂
Type this inquiry into the search bar and you will be led to 4,200 results ranging from research-based classroom strategies to accommodating special needs, to Common Core. Yes, the availability is there! Oh, and there is a side bar for grades 1-7.  This opens a whole new world of classroom resources!


Usability for intended audience: students, parents, teachers, or a combination? 👪
This is placed on the small navigation bar.  The bar also includes administrator, librarian, school psychologist, and more.  Parents will find reading tips, book and author recommendations, and more.

In conclusion, this website offers a wealth of research-based activities and lessons.  It caters to educators and parents.  I will definitely be visiting this site often! 
  


reference


Reading Rockets. (n.d.). Retrieved May 18, 2017, from readingrockets.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Study Guides And Strategies website evaluation

Evaluation of edutopia!

National Center for Fair & Open Testing